Panel Descriptions

2»

Comments

• Then there are those of us who are doing our own lettering but have an editor (who has a background in film and screen plays) It comes down to the basics of writing: know your audience and write for them in a way that makes things abundantly clear to them.
  • Real talk: do any of you ever paste in images in your scripts as part of your panel description? I'll occasionally throw a specific outfit or a quickly-doodled panel layout or something in there to supplement the panel description.

I've been putting pics right into the script lately. I like doing it to try to be clear about what my intentions and thoughts are. Do you think this is in any way upsetting to editors or artists? Is it being "too bossy"? Any thoughts?
  • I put pics in my scripts all the time, just copy and paste them onto the page. It's particularly useful for artists for whom English is not their first language, or where the script is going to be translated for the artist. A lot of subtlety can be lost in translation, so I want to reinforce the directions as much as possible. 
  • If nothing else, I would find that pictures would at least be able to give the artist a feel for the mood and style that you are going for.