iPad Pro

2»

Comments

• Well, seems like the decision has been taken for me: I'll be buying a second hand one-year old Cintiq 22HD for half the retail price... plus I'll sign some books and do a cover drawing for the seller's new book. 
    Finally an artist's perk worth getting. (He really wanted me to do this because he can wait and refused a higher bid from another bidder)

It does mean the new ipad pro and pencil will be shelved for a couple of years... and frankly, I'm glad I didn't have to make the choice...

• This is why God created credit cards. :)

if only I had good credit, hahah!
  • edited December 2015
    So I've told the wife and it's official... I'm getting an iPad Pro, I'll just wait until AFTER the Xmas rush and go to the Apple store before Dec. 31st.

My wife can have my iPad 4.

This comes at a tricky time for me because I am neck-deep in my new series (Power Lines), which is traditional pencil, so I'm not gonna buy the iPad Pro and jump right into it.  In fact, I might not even take it out the box for another month or so because it would only be a distraction.  Granted, I can use it for all other business, but I need to keep my focus sharp if I plan to get even ONE issue done before my deadline (I'd like to have 2 or 3 issues done).

Anyway, when I score it I will report my reviews (when I actually use it).
    And yes, I will get the pencil.
  • Yet another follow-up. The most recent Astropad update to 1.3.5 sees a fairly dramatic improvement in wifi performance. There's still a definite lag, but not so much as to make the thing unusable. TBH, it's no worse than some PS brushes when working directly onto the main machine…
  • @JimCampbell  Good to hear it.  I'll be picking one up (with the pencil) next week, after the mad rush.  My only question is which model (storage-wise) to get.  I'll do more digging & research.

And then i need to have time for weening myself on the machine.
  • edited December 2015
    I was Boxing Day shopping with my daughter, only because I want to support my daughter and this seems to be an unfortunate yearly ritual for us, and I found out that my cell phone carrier has the iPad pro in stock! I kept myself from getting it on Boxing Day but I did pick up a Pencil because it was on sale for 50% off. I'll be picking up the iPad pro in the next upcoming few months. I just need to set the money aside so I'm anticipating by March/April I'll own one.
  • Dec. 31st. 5 hours left in the year to buy some hardware as a tax-write off.

So, I just bought an iPad Pro 128GB and a pencil.
    However, the pencil is on back order so I won't have that for another 3 or 4 weeks. No problem since I'm deep into my current deadline and my current series is still traditionally hand drawn.

@_Beth_Wagner_
    glad to hear you got the pencil and at 50% off. The pencil seems to be rare in my area.
  • edited January 2016
    Except I realised that it was the wrong pencil. I got the one that came out before the Apple Pencil. I thought they were the same thing. *Totally* not. But I'll figure out a way to use it. :)

Apple, except no imitations.
  • edited January 2016
    I just bought AstroPad.
    I just bought ProCreate.
    I just got Medibang Paint.

I'm still waiting on my pencil to arrive.  But it looks like I'm getting myself set up and into the world of digital.  I didn't know there were so many art apps already out there.

• Is there a way to delete the "Gallery" on Medibang Paint? I just don't want to see it when I open the program.

Or... is there a difference between Medibang Paint and Medibang Pro? I'll gladly pay if there is a Pro version without the public submitted gallery of art. (Well, it is a FREE app, maybe I shouldn't complain).

But I'd rather it look like ProCreate, which is a blank slate when I open the app.

Other than that the iPad Pro is really great. It's a good artist tool. I just hope Apple supports it in the long run.
  • Hmmm.... It seems that the ProCreate app is a bit limited for print resolution. It seems that several hoops have to be jumped through just to make it work for professional level printing. Or am I not doing something right?

According to some on the ProCreate forums I would have to work at the largest size, then Dropbox it and open it in Photoshop, upscale it and possible add some filters to clean it up, blah, blah, blah.... I may as well just draw. It and scan it into Photoshop like normal.

I admit, many of these comments are over a year old, so new data is needed.

Currently I am looking at Medibang Paint to make sure I can use it at a print level (300 dpi and up).

• You can just create a document at the correct pixel dimensions (ie: US comic at 300dpi = 2063x3031px). Obviously, I don't know how the rest of your workflow runs, so I don't know how important the physical dimensions are to you, but that's the only probable issue. Given that you'll need to convert to CMYK anyway, you'd probably need some Photoshop/Affinity Photo intervention anyway.

MediThing Whatnot absolutely supports print resolutions and you can turn the anti-aliasing off, a la MangaStudio, if you need hard-edged lines for colouring in another package.

• @JimCampbell yeah I have less issue with Medibang Paint. It will work and it has a HUGE array of comic construction tools that ProCreate doesn't have. ProCreate is good, but mostly it's for painting single illustrations.
  • @JimCampbell yeah I have less issue with Medibang Paint. It will work and it has a HUGE array of comic construction tools that ProCreate doesn't have. ProCreate is good, but mostly it's for painting single illustrations.
    Yeah, ProCreate is just lovely for illos, but I think it's MediBang all the way for actually Getting Shit Done(TM). I'm hoping it might spur the Powers That Be into sorting out a MangaStudio/ CilpStudio port to iOS. Marry that up with the Affinity stuff and I can see some functional workflows outside the traditional ones.

• Today my apple pencil arrived in the mail for my iPad pro. As I noted, I purchased the iPad pro on dec. 31st. Since then I've downloaded apps and I've boned up on working digitally. I did a few scribble testes with the pencil with MediBang paint and I was very impressed. I'm also impressed with the very quick load times on charging the pencil. A mere 15 seconds = 30 minutes.

I will start working with the pencil for digital only artwork at first, then once I feel confident I'll try a cover or something l size print production. More updates as I go along.
  • The actual drawing experience is lovely… it made me acutely aware of how much working on a Wacom feels a bit like drawing naturally, because working with the Pencil feels just like drawing naturally.
  • I bought an iPad Air (1st gen) a couple days ago, and I'm going to be selling my old iPad 3 and my iPhone 4S (which has been gathering dust for a year) for about the same amount I paid for the Air.
     I'm justifying it to myself by claiming that it'll be easier to show pretty art to editors at cons on it than it is on my iPad 3, which is just heavy enough to make it unwieldy.

That has nothing to do with this thread. I just wanted to share. ;)
  • Yeah, well I'm still using my iPad ("Just iPad: no bloody 2, Mini, Air, or Pro") on the couch. :P
  • I gave my iPad 4 to my wife.  She loves it.
    Currently, I am totally in love with the iPad Pro.