Lettering Thread

edited May 2011 in The Toolbox
Lately, my lettering and balloons have been coming out jagged and pixelated (http://www.spinningtoinfinity.com). I must be doing something wrong.

I letter on the TIF or PSD at full size in InkScape, then export to PNG. Then, in GiMP, I reduce the dimensions and resolution to 980 pixels wide and 200 dpi. 

Somewhere in this process, the nice crisp vector lettering is getting junked up.

Comments

• If you're exporting to a raster format (PNG) and then resizing the rasterized file — then yeah, you aren't going to get vector crispness.

I don't use the programs you're talking about, so I don't have any suggestions for fixing it, though.
  • Do you have anti-aliasing on along the way somewhere? I think that mucks with the averaging of the pixels on the rescale.
  • That doesn't look horrible, so I'd suggest trying a different interpolation setting when you scale the image in GIMP.
  • Will inkscape not do the dimension change before you export? That would be the first thing I'd look into, size everything down inside inkscape after saving your full size file then export and skip the GIMP stage. 
  • Thank god I checked to see if there was a lettering thread first...

(Alternate opening: "Steve, I'mma let you finish, but my lettering theory is the best of all."

(Alternate alternate opening: a joke that isn't, what, two years old now?)

So, over at today's R+M, I went on a bit in the blogpost that comes with the page about lettering. I figured I'd share with you lot, and open things up to font-as-character talk and whether writers/pro letterers should do the lettering. Or whatever. Let's talk fonts. While USING fonts.

Blog post follows:

Okay. Let’s talk about lettering.

I letter R+M. Partly to give Jorge less weight to carry and myself a little moreso, partly because I feel that the writer should also letter for those last minute dialogue tweaks (El’s hamfisted Los Campesinos! reference in the last panel was pretty awkwardly hyphenated my first go-round), and partly because I just have a giant boner for words and the usage of them. Which extends (sure, pun intended) to typography.

(I know diddly squat about lettering, by the way. Took a typography class once, but I forgot to keep the textbook when I graduated.)

There’s three different fonts and three different word balloon styles going on here, which makes it as good a page as any to talk about lettering.

Ballserker talks in Trebuchet, as big as I can make it without drowning out the art. He has thicker word balloon line weights, and those jaggedy lightning tails. He bellows, but electronically, you know? If you’ve watched Venture Bros. at length, the effect I “hear” it as is something like the “IGNORE ME!” guy from that episode with the “IGNORE ME!” guy. Or the old GI Joe figures with backpacks that yelled things.

El has what I consider a “normal” balloon for the strip. I like them round, which is a little Japanese, but whatever. There’s a 7pt stroke around the edge, thin, but distinct, and doesn’t choke out the tail point too badly. 12pt font, maybe 11.5pt? The font is Kid Kosmic, from Blambot; I picked it because it’s simultaneously stiff and curvy, which strikes me as perfect for a robot teen hero who’s more or less (but only more or less) a real boy.

Finally, we have our mystery speaker (it’s Lydon) in the last panel. Lydon, and all humans, speak in Anime Ace 2, also from Blambot. But Lydon’s talking low, and talking from elsewhere, so no balloon border for him, and a long tail that pinpoints off the panel.

I don’t know from lettering, but I do know from delighting in typography-as-character-signifier. I like that the two robots have different “voices”, but all the humans sound the same. I like that square pupils and paying attention to fonts could help the readers spot a Replicant in a pinch.

I like lettering. Possibly you’ve noticed.

(For the record: I just letter in Photoshop, on the original tiff, on a separate layer for each balloon and dialogue chunk. I save it as a psd with all the layers in case I need to edit later, then merge visible layers, shrink it to the site size, and save it as a JPEG.)

• edited June 2011
    @joshhechinger - Dude, I agree with you on all fronts: 

• I feel that the writer should also letter for those last minute dialogue tweaks
    • Giant boner for words and the usage of them
    • I don’t know from lettering, but I do know from delighting in typography

But I don't know how to letter for shit. I'd like to learn. I need to learn. What's the best way to pick your bran re. where to start, process, etc? 
  • @RyanBurton - As mentioned, I know diddly squat about "actual" lettering, so take the following with a grain of salt:

The way I learned what lettering I know was by relettering Yon Kuma/Bear Beater Bunyan first for the iPhone edition, then for a full-page edition for Robot Comics.

I know actual letterers use Illustrator or a vector-based program, so that if they have to resize the font, there's no pixellation.

But I don't have that. So I use Photoshop.

Jorge sends me an unlettered .tiff of the page, at about 300dpi. I open that up in PS, save it as a psd file, so when I save later, I get to keep all the layers. I add a layer for the balloon, on a separate layer from the art.

I draw the word balloons using the circular ellipsis tool, then selecting the option that lets you add selections, I use the tool that lets you drag a straight line to a point, then another line from that point (if an artist wants to chime in with what that's called, thanks in advance) to form the tail. The end result is that I have a selection in the shape of my balloon on a separate layer, yeah?

I use the paint bucket tool to fill this with white (or black, or yellow, whatever color you want the balloon to be). While this shape is still selected and filled, I go to Edit up top, pick Stroke, and add a black stroke (usually of 7pts) with the Center option selected, so there's no gap between the white and the black, but it doesn't impose on the white space as much as using the Inside option would. Deselect everything, and voila, a balloon. If I have to slide it around, to get it where I like, I do so here.

For the actual lettering, I just select the Text tool, which automatically puts the font on its own layer. Make sure the text layer is above the balloon and the art, obviously. On a page with a lot of talking, my layer stack tends to look like art, balloon1, dialogue1, balloon2, dialogue2, etc, but you can also make all the balloons on separate layers, then do all the lettering (so art, balloon1, balloon2, dialogue 1, dialogue 2).

Make your font selection, pick your size (eyeball it, make it fit comfortably in the balloon, don't be afraid to type in a point size a point or half-point outside of the dropdown options PS gives you. Unless someone's shouting, in a panel, try to keep the same font size throughout, or within a point/half-point).

Center the dialogue (with the Center option everything involving text has), and use the enter key to make new lines, but don't leave a space between the last word on one line and the first on another, or throws off the centering.

(So, like: "Come with me if you want to live" looks like:

COME WITH ME

IF YOU WANT

TO LIVE.

in the balloon, but COME WITH MEIF YOU WANTTO LIVE if you stretched it out.)

Make sense so far? That's the lettering part of it, everything else is just merging all the layers when you're done and saving it as a nice enough page that it niether looks like ass nor loads like molasses on a site.

• I pretty much do it that way, except I just put all the balloons on one layer. They can still be selected and moved if need be.
  • @joshhechinger - God, thanks for taking the time to spell it out. Buy you a beer sometime?
  • I think that if a writer CAN letter, then by all means. That said, there are so many that can't do it or don't realize that the lettering is an important part of the story telling. I've read so many indie comics where the lettering seems to be slapped on as an after-thought or where the writer tries to do too much with the lettering and as a result, the lettering gets in the way of the art.

Just so long as everyone does what's best for the end product, then you're good.

@joshhechinger - watch your "I"s in the strip. Anytime you have someone saying "I" as a pronoun (ie. myself), you should be using I with the crossbars.

Example:

• I'm a writer who letters, and I've actually been starting to feel a bit inadequate about these last few days. I use the Illustrator/photoshop double whammy export fandango, which is a pain in the arse, but it is much easier (for me) to letter in Illustrator.

I learned everything I know from the comicraft website.

As a writer I like having control over the dialogue at the end of the pipeline. The ability to make that last tiny tweak depending on how the art turned out, the available space, or just some late decision about the script. But, looking at some old Sixsmiths pages, I sort of wonder if I didn't let the team down a bit. Does my lettering look good? I think it's adequate, at best. Maybe I should just find a very patient professional who will put up with me asking for a million tiny changes.

• @jasonfranks -- speaking as a dude who letters for a living, you would not be alone in asking for tweaks to the lettering based on late in the game script changes. As long as you're upfront about it to the letterer, you shouldn't have any problems.
  • #edbrisson Probably the way to go is to revise the script in full based upon the finished art before giving it to the letterer. Save everybody time and effort.
  • Wow.

I feel like sort of a chump. I hand-letter in all my stuff. I've tried using misc. software to letter, but I grew up on reading stuff that was hand-lettered, and when I started cartooning I hand-lettered.  Plus, I figure the extra work you put into it to make it look unique (and not just Comic Sans) is worth it.
  • There is much of value to be said about hand-lettering, and you just said it.

• @marvinmann - On pages with way too many bubbles, I've started to consider all-on-one rather than running up and down a stack of layers.

@RyanBurton - Dude, no problem. I'm just glad I made halfway decent sense.

@edbrisson - Sort of loosely related to the "best for the story" aspect of writers lettering: depending on the artist I'm working with, I usually want them do the sound effects even if I'm ostensibly lettering, for that reason. I can fake my way through dialogue, but onomatopoeia in comics are so...impressionistic...ideally, that doing them with a computer always feels vaguely off. Like bad CGI in a movie.

As for the "I" thing: you're right, and I know that's the standard, but I've never been a fan of the crossbar. It always reads more like *I* than I to me in comics where the font is all-caps (not that *I* doesn't have its uses, mind...). The barless I is one of my few comics peccadilloes I feel guilty about indulging, because I know I'm just flat out wrong, but it bugs me otherwise.

@costakoutsoutis - Honestly, if you can hand-letter, and it looks good, more power to you. My Ls look like Cs, among other problems, and my hand-drawn balloons are hideously deformed. So it's computer fonts for me.
  • @joshhechinger - dude, I have been bitch slapped by letterist friends for sharing your sentiments regarding I w/ bar and w/out bar. 

@costakoutsoutis - I love hand lettering. Like Casanova Vol 1. It makes the whole experience more...organic.

@edbrisson - the more I'm in comics, the more it's insanely apparent that lettering is a fine art. It makes me proud to be a part of a medium that takes so much pride in itself.
  • edited July 2011
    So, Deron Bennett lettered by Strawberry Shortcake story and did a really great job, especially with two tricky sfx. I emailed him to thank him, even though we had never worked together before or met. Anyway, he was stunned and grateful, saying letterers don't get much praise. This is a sin. Bad lettering can ruin a book, trust me on that, and great lettering can elevate it. SO THANK YOUR LETTERERS!
  • edited July 2011
    Hand lettering done well is the best possible form of lettering. Computer lettering done poorly is the worst. 
  • My method is pretty similar to Josh's. Here's an old blog post where I went through my process:

http://jkcarrier.livejournal.com/189386.html
  • As a kid I always wrote in block letters (except when required otherwise for school), probably because that's what I always saw in comics, so it's what I liked the look of.  When I take the time, I can do some pretty good hand-lettering, and I love how it looks. Unfortunately one of the things I lack the most (after good judgment and money) is time, so anything I can do to streamline my work without sacrificing too much quality has to be done, which means lettering digitally.
  • Speaking of lettering, any of you ever read this?

http://www.comicsalliance.com/2010/03/18/twilight-manga-review/

"Bad lettering" doesn't even begin to describe it...
  • I remember seeing a bit about that when the book came out.  It's the sort of thing that sends me right past an indignant "even I could've done better than that" to quietly sobbing.
  • @costakoutsoutis the bit I said about computer lettering, yeah that's exactly the book I had in mind when I said that :)
  • I might be biased, but the particular aspect that I think works really good on R+M is that @joshhechinger letters the pages and tweaks dialogue and placement PLUS (or +) whenever there's a SFX I do it by hand, attaching it closer to the graphic side of things even if both (dialogue and sfx) are both representation of sounds for the most part.

I don't know if that makes sense at all :p
  • If you guys don't read Jim Campbell's blog, you should. His most recent post is a good reminder for artists.
  • If the artist is comfortable with--and versed in--drawing soundfx, then that's the route I always prefer.
  • Penciller Christopher Jones did occasional sfx when we worked on The Batman Strikes together, and they were always better than what the company that did the lettering would've turned in. He did great titles, too.
  • ...or sometimes it can go the other way around, with the letterer being comfortable with and versed in drawing elements that one might ordinarily expect the artist to be stuck with.  On Pug, we were fortunate enough to work with old-school lettering legend Tom Orzechowski, who lettered not just SFX, but pretty much everything on the page that featured typographical characters -- newspaper headlines, store signs, the text of a handwritten letter, etc., etc., and etc.  We hadn't even expected him to do it...the page just came back with all those bits complete.
  • From what I understand, in olden days in-scene text was commonly left for the letterer to do, figuring they... had legible handwriting.