Looking for a new tablet

edited September 2011 in The Toolbox
Er, the drawing kind, that is. I still haven't found a use for the iPad thingy yet (having said that, it hasn't stopped me from lusting after one... I just don't have the money for one!) No, unfortunatley, I think my little wacom has had the biscuit, so it's time for a new one. Preferably as big as I can get for under/around $100... any suggestions? I've been looking at the Hanvon line... they look ok and are quite a bit less than wacom - but what's the quality like? Anyone tried one?

Comments

• You can definitely find gently used Wacom Intuos models on ebay for $100 or less.
  • If just your tablet has died (i.e. the stylus is OK), you might be able to get a good deal buying just a tablet (missing the stylus).* I've often seen eBay listings for tablets without styluses, and since that's effectively useless (to most people), they tend to sell pretty cheap.

*You can mix and match Wacom tablets and styluses of different sizes as long as they're the same generation: e.g. replace an Intuos2 4x6 with an Intuos2 6x8. An Intuos3 stylus won't work with an Intuos2 or 4, however.
  • Wacom Intuos You will be happy. they may cost a bit more, but when i switched from the bamboo it was like upgrading to a cadillac.
  • Yeah, I have an old intuos (I think? It's a "steel blue" model that I got for about $90 10 years ago...) and I really dug it - and the new ones look supa sweet. It is unfortunately the stylus which has died (I think running over it with the moving truck when we packed up the old place, uh, probably didn't help? ANYway...) so maybe I should look for a stylus from this model? Of course, I'm trying to convince my wife that it's a good time to upgrade the whole kit and kaboodle, but we're both put off by the $300+ price tag. I'll keep ebay in mind, but I'd LOVE to get new if I can...
  • If it's the stylus that's wrecked, you can buy a new one, but they're close to $50 new. You can figure out which version your tablet is from the model number on the bottom: GD=Intuos, XD=Intuos2, PTZ=Intuos3, ET_=Graphire.
  • "steel blue" sounds like the old graphire, which was the model before they came out with the bamboo.... but if it is an intuos, yeah get a new stylus.
  • No, thanks to Jason, I looked at the serial and it is an old graphire. I'm really thinking of trying a Hanvon... it's gotten some good reviews and the price is right (I can find an 8x6 for about $100 locally). I'm wondering if the sensitivity will be good enough (it's 1024, which is in the middle between the intuos and the bamboo), but I figure it'll probably be good enough for now, until I become a better colourist, anyway (and it's a huge step up from the coaster sitting on my desk now). I haven't quite decided yet, but I'm just not sure I can find the cash for the wacom, you know?